Relationship Rx

prescriptions for the soul

May 6, 2006

 

Lazy, Crazy or Both

Dear George:
Here's a question for you george... when you read about all these disorders in psychology books, do you sometimes wonder, "I seem to exhibit similar symptoms... do I suffer from this disorder?" I used to be a student of psychology, but decided to give it up because I started thinking I was suffering from a whole lotta disorders... Ok I did not give it up only for the above mentioned reasons, but those thoughts did cross my mind once in a while... Don't you think psychology books kinda go overboard when they describe disorders? You mentioned in an earlier posting that "PAPD (Passive-Aggressive Personality Disorder) patients characteristically procrastinate, resist demands for adequate performance, find excuses for delays, and find fault with those on whom they depend; yet they refuse to extricate themselves from the dependent relationships." Aren't most lazy people around the world like this? Except laziness is never really seen as a 'disorder'... it's accepted as a natural human condition.
-- Trauma Queen
Dear Trauma Queen: I too went through every psychological disorder and questioned whether that fit for me. In fact, I got depressed just thinking I could be clinically depressed. This is very common among medical, psychology and psychiatric students. In fact there's a term called "medical student's syndrome" to describe this phenomenon. One of the criteria for meeting the diagnosis of depression, anxiety, OCD or a similar mental illness is that the symptoms cause clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning (DSM-IV). We all get lazy, depressed, anxious and obsessive. I can spend an entire weekend on my couch watching football. Does this make me lazy or obsessed? Probably. The question is: do these feelings cause significant distress or impairment in my social life or at work? When I first meet a patient I ask them simple questions to determine if they meet this criteria. a) Do you have a best friend or any friends? b) Do you have a job? If not, why? The answers usually tell me if the patient is experiencing clinically significant distress or impairment. If we're socially isolated, feeling emotional pain from many of our relationships and unable to sustain work, it might be useful to consult with our doctor. Otherwise, we should be talking with our lazy, depressed, anxious and obsessive friends.
-- George
I always value second opinions. Please offer any advice or comments you have to Trauma Queen!

Comments:
I have totally done that too... Sometimes I think I have OCD, because I have a very specific "Spot" for almost everything, and when I had roommates I always "knew" when they would use my stuff because It wasn't where it was supposed to be. Now I realize that things can just get moved, but even more, I realize that I became this way BECAUSE I had so many roommates that would just use my stuff! But I live alone now, and I am okay with that... And I don't really think I have OCD anymore.
 
By "That" I meant I had learned some things about OCD and thought "Maybe I have that too!" I didn't seem to finish my thought process there.
 
i blv i suffer form OCD, bipolar disorder, separation anxiety, panic etc te ctec. he he, ive even named sum blogposts after these disorders :P

hey sorry, im checking ito ur blog after aaaaaaaaages...nice to know ur still counselling :)

drop in sometime :)
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

1/1/06 - 2/1/06   2/1/06 - 3/1/06   3/1/06 - 4/1/06   4/1/06 - 5/1/06   5/1/06 - 6/1/06   6/1/06 - 7/1/06   7/1/06 - 8/1/06   8/1/06 - 9/1/06   10/1/06 - 11/1/06   11/1/06 - 12/1/06   12/1/06 - 1/1/07   7/1/08 - 8/1/08   11/1/11 - 12/1/11  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]