Relationship Rx

prescriptions for the soul

Feb 12, 2006

 

Break-Up Is No Break-Down

Dear Readers: Just this week Sheryl Crow and Lance Armstrong broke up. In January it was Jessica and Nick, and of course Brad and Jennifer before that. Yes, I read US magazine in the check-out line, who doesn't? Whenever I hear that celebrities have broken up I feel sad. It's like I actually know these people. Break-ups for me are always emotionally and physically painful. In a weird way I feel worse if I do the dumping. Usually it's the other way around, but I feel enormous guilt in hurting the woman. I'm also not as decisive as I'd like to be and often agonize for weeks over my decision. In any case, I've never had a mutual break-up, where both of us leave feeling the separation was for the best. Does this exist? Maybe only in Hollywood. Nick & Jessica: "After three years of marriage, and careful thought and consideration, we have decided to part ways. This is the mutual decision of two people with an enormous amount of respect and admiration for each other. We hope that you respect our privacy during this difficult time." Lance & Sheryl: "After much thought and consideration we have made a very tough decision to split up. We both have a deep love and respect for each other and we ask that everyone respect our privacy during this very difficult time." Brad & Jen: "We would like to announce that after seven years together we have decided to formally separate. For those who follow these sorts of things, we would like to explain that our separation is not the result of any of the speculation reported by the tabloid media. This decision is the result of much thoughtful consideration. We happily remain committed and caring friends with great love and admiration for one another. We ask in advance for your kindness and sensitivity in the coming months." Howard's Stern's on-air announcement that he and his wife were splitting was the most shocking of all. That was literally the last time I ever listened to Howard. Leaving Howard was done after "much thoughtful consideration." I still have an "enormous amount of respect and admiration" for the King of All Media. Eventually, however, I grew to cherish my independence and emotional maturity. I know these celebrities, and their publicisits, want to make nice and avoid public blow-ups. But, is it really possible to have a break-up that ends with mutual admiration, respect and deep love? I'm confused. Aren't those the qualities that actually make a relationship great? --George
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

1/1/06 - 2/1/06   2/1/06 - 3/1/06   3/1/06 - 4/1/06   4/1/06 - 5/1/06   5/1/06 - 6/1/06   6/1/06 - 7/1/06   7/1/06 - 8/1/06   8/1/06 - 9/1/06   10/1/06 - 11/1/06   11/1/06 - 12/1/06   12/1/06 - 1/1/07   7/1/08 - 8/1/08   11/1/11 - 12/1/11  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]